Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Future

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's comments. Through fasting and prayer, and after thinking about what everyone has said, it really feels like writing is the way I should go. I just feel like I belong there. Class time is my fun time. I come home and I feel like I've arrived at work. My blood gets pumping when I try to figure out what motivates a character, or when I make some connection between two works. Like today in class, we were talking about how Walter Lee from Raisin in the Sun is so much like Willy Loman from Death of a Salesman, and how both their lives have been consumed by the searching for the american dream (or their own mixed-up versions of it), and I felt on top of the world. I'm getting goosebumps typing this right now.
I love literature. I absolutely love it. But it is a big scary world out there. There are literally millions of writers, and I am just going to be one of them. But one in a million isn't necessarily a dime a dozen. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

the fellers said...

That is awesome that you have come to a conclusion, and that you feel so good about it! I love it when that happens! Way to go, cant wait to see you guys next week!!!

Poet's Post said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ty said...

Steven,

I just posted a nice comment and then I accidently deleted it and now it is late and anyhow, you would have liked it.

The short of it was that Americans alone consume 1.5 BILLION hours of story a day through books, movies, theatre, etc. so the moral is:

There's a market. Best of luck on this exciting venture.

Tyler

Michael said...

Why not teach?