Monday, April 2, 2007

Conference


It was wonderful, wasn't it?
Natasha and I made a whirlwind trip to Salt Lake. here we are in the newly renovated Tabernacle at Temple Square. I watched the first two sessions in the Taylor Chapel on campus and then I missed the preisthood session driving. Then were in the conference center for Sunday morning and in the Joseph Smith Theatre for Sunday afternoon. I listened to every talk closely waiting for some answer to my Law School-MFA dilemma. Elder Holland started talking about words and I got excited thinking it was exactly what I needed. It ended up being about the words we speak, not write (and one of my favorite talks).
But talk after talk I didn't think of anything thing that had to do with an answer to my prayer. Well, that's not true. Someone spoke about answers to our prayers in general, I think it was Earl Tingey, and that helped me realize that law school isn't the right path because my interest has piddled out, just like he said something like, "the lord will not let you get very far in a path that isn't right."
Then the rest of the talks were good. I thought president Hinckley made a very interesting choice. He just went over the basics of the gospel: Joseph Smith is a prophet, we have the preisthood, the temple is the house of God, the Book of Mormon is true. i didn't know what to make of it, but I liked it nonetheless.
Then, at the very end of conference, the last hymn the choir (the choir is the most amazing part of conference in the conference center) sang I need the every hour, one of my favorites. They sang very differently though. It had two melodies, the women sang the original solemn, pensive melody and the men sang a somber, desperately pleading counterpoint. As I listened, I imagined a person that pleads to God for help, but as he does so, he humiliates himself by admitting he can't do it himself. The ambivalence was absolutely beautiful, tense, and emotionally packed, and I thought, that's what I love. I love characters, and figuring out their motivations and ambivalences. I want to do creative writing. Law is not what I love.
I'm still scared about getting a career, but I know that Heavenly Father is guiding me, and I know that we will be OK.
It was a good conference.

2 comments:

the fellers said...

I too loved Conference. It was a great weekend! We cant wait to see you guys this week!! WHOOHOO!!!! Good choice by the way, I think you will excel in writing!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great, Steven. Let me know how I can help with choosing MFA programs. It won't be a year I know but I'll see what I can do. And just so you know there is a bit of nepotism available at my school. If I ask them to pay special attention to your application, they will. That doesn't guarantee anything but just so you know.