Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Busy Life

Taking 15 credits, working part-time, being in a play and being married are all really good things. However, doing all of them at the same time on a 14 week semester is another story. Life has been hectic, but I don't want to give the impression for a second that I am complaining, or that I would give up anything.
Every day is full of enriching, uplifting, enlightening, exciting events. I wake up every morning at 7 a.m. and begin doing homework for my New Testament class. I read from Jesus the Christ and then from the four Gospels and then my teacher gives us huge lists of Bible Dictionary terms to look up. It's a lot of work, but being prepared like that for our class discussions has been awesome. A fellow classmate described my teacher Brother Hammond, "like a Baptist preacher that sermonizes fire and brimstone with an Idaho drawl." Then I get whatever other homework I can done in the mornings. (Unfortunately, I haven't been able to have regular morning writing time and I feel horrible.)
Then Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning at 9 a.m., I go to work at the Writing center, where I am making better friends with co-workers than I ever have in my life. I've always been to scared to make friends at work, hmmph. Then I go to spanish class with Brother Alba who is the coolest grammar nerd I have ever met, and he let's us poke fun at his slightly balding head and Star Wars fetish. Then I go to Creative writing with Brother Allen. I love this class. Every second I spend in that class reenforces me that I need to be a writer, that it is where I belong; it is my fight and my cause, and I love it. Then another hour at work. (This is where it gets tricky because I'm usually starving and I don't have any food to eat, much less any time to eat any food that I might get.) Then I go to New Testament, then two more hours of work. Then I go home for an hour and eat and try hard to shut off my brain for a few seconds: The Office is my escape of choice. Then I go to play rehearsal from 7 to 10 p.m. I have never successfully gotten any homework done during practice; there are very few scenes that I'm not in and we spend down time running our lines anyway.
Tuesdays and Thursdays I wake up, do homework, go to Advanced writing at 9:45 a.m. and then American Literature at 11:30 a.m. Then I have an actual break from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. when I go to devotional or work. Then Tuesday I go to work until 6:30 p.m. and then to rehearsal, and Thursday I go to work until 4:30 p.m. and get a little break until rehearsal, but Natasha is working during that time, so I don't get to spend it with her. Saturdays I have rehearsal from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then Natasha and I have a mad scramble to do things we haven't done in weeks like wash the dishes, clean the house, do laundry, or say Hello to each other. Then I spend my Sundays doing our Wonderful Heavenly Father intended it to do with it: I rest. Then Monday morning I start over.
Like I said, I am not complaining. I love every class, every rehearsal, and every hour of work. Each short time I get to spend with my wife we spend being in head over heels in love, either that or fighting. But it is so wonderful. I think we've made more progress in our marriage under this pressure cooker than in any other time since we were married a year ago. I love her. She is doing great. She wants more of me, and there just isn't enough to go around. Thank you Natasha for your hard work. I love you.

1 comment:

Steven and Natasha Hopkins said...

Thank you Steven, I love you too. I am glad that you are so happy. and that we are doing so good.