Sunday, October 5, 2008

Work

So at work I kill bugs. I drive pretty far out into the country and deal with some houses out in the woods. In case you didn't know, bugs live in the woods. I was spraying a house down with pesticides, when I came across this little guy.
It's a tarantula, the biggest one I've ever come across. I sprayed it, and then caught it in a little plastic container and brought it home to show the girls. It was dead by the time I got home, so that's why I can hold it. It was covered with little hairs and about four inches across.
When we got it home our korean neighbor across the street came over to see what we were taking pictures of. Somehow he got the idea that the spider had bit me and that I was taking pictures as evidence. Then, he gave me a five minute lecture in broken english about how I need to report on-the-job injuries the day they happen or else I won't get anything.
We put the tarantula in a bag and threw it away and then he told us to crush it to make sure it was dead. I didn't want to do it, and Natasha was already freaked out. So I asked him to do it. Natasha ran away screaming with her fingers in her ears saying, "La la la la" so she wouldn't hear the crunch. And crunch it did. I guess it was halfway between a crunch and a snap, but our neighbor John sure did the job right.
Anyway, tarantulas live in Oklahoma and I kill them, or at least I facilitate their killing.

1 comment:

Timber said...

Ask Natasha if she remembers our pet tarantula. Nathan caught one when we were in OKC (I can't remember where he found it). We had it for a pet for a good year but left it in the woods when we moved. It was a cool tarantula. We could hold it and it didn't try to bite or anything.